Monday, June 3, 2013

Banging My Head on the Wall

Maybe that's not a politically correct thing for an autistic person to say. ;)

Some weekends are just like that.  I'm sure everybody has them.



Then the church that my husband and children go to is sending the older kids on a mission trip next month.  Our two older children will be going.  I just found out that by next weekend they want $100 a kid.  Doesn't seem like much.  Except our bank account is running on empty.  So....every other week my father gives us $300 grocery money.  Guess we'll be living off my survival stash for the next couple of weeks.  It's a good thing I'm always prepared.  But it would be nice if the people at church had a clue about what it's like to be poor.  I don't really know why they should--nobody else does.



And then....a relative brought up my sense of direction.  Again.  The conversation went something like this....

"Blah blah blah." (Stuff about where something was at that I did not understand.)

"Uh-huh." (Code for "I'm pretending to understand even though we BOTH know damn well I don't.)

"Blah blah blah."

"Uh-huh."

"You know, blah blah-blah blah blah blah-blah-blah."

Pause.

"What.  Ever."

It's a great word, 'whatever'.



Anyway, the Wii now says that I'm 35.  I've improved in three weeks.  Now if I could only lose weight.  I'm thinking that I might be putting on muscle, though, and I'm fairly sure I've lost a bit around the waist.  I've been good about my diet--putting in all that hard work exercising is definitely not an incentive to over-eat.  So we'll see what happens.  And I've discovered another benefit to the Wii--it makes me stop.  I got up to level four on bicycling (virtual bicycling is way more fun than it ought to be), and I only had two more flags to find, but I'd been looking for an hour, and the Wii cut me off.  Told me to go take a break.  That was before dinner and it's almost bedtime now.  If it wasn't for the Wii, I'd probably still be pedaling.  Maybe I'd be unconscious by now.  I think I'm become (cough) addicted (cough), as daughter #3 would say.  Maybe I'll get addicted enough to actually lose weight.



I played through the entire John Thompson piano series this last week.  It was fun.  There's some really good music in there.  I think John Thompson is underrated as a composer.

I've also become addicted to 'Diamond Dash' on facebook, but that's just a passing thing.  I don't allow myself to play it until after dinner.  I may need a 12-step program.

I've also been playing Words With Friends.  I beat everybody.  Finally, a savior arrived in the person of my brother-in-law.  He managed to beat me.  By 11 points (she observed competitively).  He might beat me again this time.  My father reminded me today--I used to be horrible at Scrabble.  It's funny how my brain learns to do some things given enough time.  Sometimes I'll be way behind everybody, and then I'll just catch up out of the blue and suddenly I'm the best.  Weird, huh?

I am competitive.  I've lost lots and lots and lots of times.  My lopsided brain is quite used to failure.  But still....my second-oldest has a high score on Wii hula hoops, and I had to try with all my will to beat it today.  I nearly had a heart attack.  It was literally several minutes before I could breath normally.  I can't get anywhere near her score.  It's her fault--she'd taunted me.  She's just mad because I beat the hell out of her at Diamond Dash.

Well, the girls are all outside camping in a tent tonight.  I think I'll go get ready for bed.  Good-night!



No comments:

Post a Comment